Thank you for your interest in joining Bread and Roses Missouri.
On November 9th we announced plans to hire an Executive Director in 2021 to succeed our founding director. The search for her successor in 2021 will be open until January 4, 2021.
Submit cover letter and resume by January 4, 2021 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All inquiries and materials will be confidential. Applications will be acknowledged.
If you have questions, please direct them to:
Secretary, Board of Directors; Chair, Search Committee
Mission: Bread & Roses Missouri uses an arts lens to examine social and economic justice issues in our programming. We believe that cultural and creative expression are a means to effect deep and lasting social change.
Overview of the Position: Executive Director
Bread & Roses Missouri (B&R) seeks an Executive Director (ED) to expand on the dynamic work of its retiring founder. The ED will administer the nonprofit, as well as take a hands-on approach to cultivating socially significant arts programming.
Located in St. Louis, Missouri, B&R was created as an independent organization in 2015. B&R is an established non-profit dedicated to exploring social and economic justice and promoting lasting change through an arts lens, primarily through theatrical performances and visual arts education and exhibitions.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) has overall strategic, fiscal, and operational responsibility for the organization. The ED provides leadership to the Board and affiliated artists in developing and implementing programs to further B&R’s mission and reflect its core values. The position requires a collaborative, DEIA-focused, high energy, engaging, and proactive problem solver with excellent communication skills and exceptional attention to detail.
The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated, practical, and dynamic individual with deep ties to the arts, labor and social justice communities and the flexibility to excel at a part-time position with varying seasonal time commitments (likely averaging about 25 hours/week). The candidate will join artistic vision with management acumen.
• Bachelor’s degree preferred
• 2-5 years of relevant experience
• Computer and social media and digital marketing proficiency and experience
The compensation range is $30,000-$40,000/year, inclusive of benefits. Some benefits are negotiable. Part-time, exempt position.
Bread & Roses Missouri is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Description: Executive Director
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and financial objectives. The ED will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for Bread & Roses Missouri’s programs, contractual employees, and build the capacity of the organization in line with its mission. They will have knowledge of the arts and of labor organizations, and develop knowledge of the organization’s core programs, operations, and business plans.
Leadership and Management
- Oversee day to day operations
- Oversee responsible fiscal management, including annual budgeting, budget management and oversight, and cash flow
- Develop, maintain, and support the Board of Directors; serve as ex-officio of each committee; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction for operations and programs
- Assure the organization has at least an annual strategy, if not 3-year plan, to achieve its mission, and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress
- Manage office systems including ease of navigation of the donor and audience management database, banking, payment, and event ticketing platforms
- Actively engage and energize board members, event committees, teaching artists, Workers’ Theater group, partnering organizations, and funders
- Maintain official records and documents, and ensure compliance with federal, state, and local regulations
- Responsible for the recruitment, employment, training, annual or completion of contract performance review, and release of all contractual and employed staff
- Carry out plans and policies authorized by the Board of Directors
- Negotiate contract and agreement with venues
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field
Fundraising and Communication
- Develop and implement a fundraising strategy, in cooperation with the Board of Directors
- Plan, manage, and coordinate all contributed income programs, including foundation, corporate, government, and individual donors
- Oversee the writing and submission of grant proposals and appeals
- Identify and cultivate new funding prospects
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative agreements with community groups and organizations
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communication—from web presence to external relations with goal of creating a strong community presence
- Approve design and oversee implementation of social media, marketing and public relations materials, and ensure website is up to date
- Represent Bread & Roses Missouri to the public
- BA preferred
- 2-5 years relevant experience required
- Reliable and self -motivated
- Commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice
- Demonstrated grant writing skills
- Demonstrated donor and sponsor development/acquisition skills
- Problem solving skills
- Strong leadership qualities
- Strategic thinker
- Demonstrated budget management experience
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills
- People management skills
- Adept at networking
- Organizational skills
- Proficiency in Google suite of office management applications (Email, Voice, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets)
- Familiarity with social and digital marketing tools, including Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Eventbrite, and Twitter
- Experience with labor organizations preferred
- Strong knowledge of the community, including artists and arts organizations, labor organizations, and social justice agencies
The position of Executive Director is a position subject to annual review and renewal by the Board of Bread and Roses Missouri.
Currently envisioned as a part-time position, with an average work week of 25 hours, the hours will vary seasonally. The compensation range is $30,000-$40,000/year, inclusive of benefits. Some benefits are negotiable. Part-time, exempt position.
Bread & Roses Missouri is an Equal Opportunity Employer