MONDAY, JUNE 7, 2021 is the Deadline for Submitting Response to this Request for Artist Qualifications
Bread and Roses Missouri will commission an artist to create artwork for use as visual illustration for Mrs. Palmer’s Honey, an original play by Cassandra Medley and an album of originally composed music for the play by Colin McLaughlin. This work is based on the 1946 novel by St. Louisan Fannie Cook. The work will be produced as a radio play, podcast, and stage play along with an accompanying album of jazz/blues music. The artwork will be used as illustration for the productions, a poster or limited edition print to benefit the non-profit organization, and as the cover of a CD. The final design will need to be adaptable to all print and digital formats and scalable. Staff and cast will be available to the selected artist for collaborative discussion if desired. In addition, the original artwork may be auctioned to benefit the organization. The selected artist will receive a commission fee of $1,500 for the final, completed artwork.
- To capture and reflect the production’s themes of growth, awakening, race, and equity.
- To engage and attract audiences for the upcoming productions of Mrs. Palmer’s Honey.
- To uphold Bread & Roses Missouri’s excellent standards of quality and craftsmanship.
- To enhance Bread & Roses Missouri’s mission around the intersections of labor, activism, and the power of art.
- To commission an artist to create new work that builds upon their body of work.
- To showcase and support the talent of St. Louis-based visual artists.
A staged reading of Mrs. Palmer’s Honey, can be found on our Youtube channel:
Please enjoy this sampling of the music from Mrs. Palmer’s Honey, to be released as an album: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XsjxeAKRH6sdql6YK1vNMA7euSevah2V?usp=sharing
For more information about Bread & Roses Missouri, please see http://www.breadandrosesmo.org/
This Request for Qualifications (RFQ) is open to all working artists and artist teams residing within a 100-mile radius of St. Louis, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, nationality or disability.
A selection panel made up of artists, arts professionals, and members of the Bread & Roses board and staff.
MONDAY, JUNE 7, 2021 by 6pm –– Submission deadline
Monday, June 14, 2021 –– Selected artist announced
Monday, June 23, 2021 –– Artwork completed and approved
Applicants are encouraged to submit their qualifications as a PDF by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Mrs. Palmer’s Honey RFQ by 6pm (CT) MONDAY, JUNE 7, 2021.
Interested artists or artist teams should submit the following to be considered for this opportunity:
- Brief cover letter describing interest in the project and how this project relates to past work.
- Artist resume/CV with current contact information.
- 5 to 8 clearly labeled images of relevant, recent work.
- Three references with current contact information.
Please contact Elyse Mack at email@example.com.